Rebuilding sustainable relationships after treatment for drug or alcohol addiction will take time. Loved ones also need time to heal from the addiction. When trust is broken, it can be hard to mend a relationship. Respect your loved one’s boundaries to regain trust.
Drug and alcohol addiction affects family relationships and friendships. Loved ones struggle to understand and cope with the addiction. Some people are affected differently by their loved one’s addiction. A person with an addiction lies, steals, cheats, and can become violent or aggressive. These behaviors make it difficult to trust again.
Family members and friends can mistakenly enable their loved one. Family and friends go through an exhausting emotional odyssey with their loved one’s addiction. Family therapy helps with issues related to a loved one’s drug and alcohol addiction. Going to family or group therapy can help the healing process for everyone affected.
Here are 5 helpful ways to rebuild relationships in recovery:
- Journaling. Start journaling on a regular basis to keep a record of your progress. Writing allows you to express your feelings, keep your mind active, and reflect on your journey through tough times and accomplishments.
- Communicate. Listen to loved ones and remain calm, respectful, and responsive. Engage in positive and effective communication.
- Avoid relapse. Identify the people, places, or things that could lead to relapse. Develop a plan to avoid situations that put you at high risk to abuse drugs and alcohol again. Find sober people to be around and meet new friends at group meetings. Stay away from establishments that remind you of your drug or alcohol use.
- Nurture interest in your loved one’s lives. Go on walks together, watch a baseball game, attend family dinners, and spend some quality time with your parents. Find interest in their lives and show them you care.
- Take care of yourself. Continue to make improvements and reinforce your commitment to sobriety. Family and friends will see your progress, which will help to regain trust.
Recovery is a lifelong process and takes a lot of effort and dedication to stay sober. Rebuilding relationships with loved ones will help in recovery by establishing support and encouragement from family and friends.
Cypress Lakes Lodge specializes in treatment to help develop healthy, sober, and sustainable relationships. The compassionate staff at Cypress Lakes Lodge is committed to the overall health and successful recovery of every client. Get help today.
Cypress Lakes Lodge offers treatment for substance addiction, addictive behavior, dual diagnosis, and mental health conditions in a serene, remote, lush-green environment. The program encompasses holistic addiction therapy for the mind, body, and soul. The focus is on physical, mental, and emotional well-being by generating the balance of life-enriching treatment, wellness, and healthy sober relationships that are sustainable. Call us to get started: 877-938-1577