Addiction interferes with the way the brain functions to control vital organs. Addiction changes all aspects of a person’s life including relationships and responsibilities and can lead to severe mental and physical health complications or early death.
The euphoric effects of some substances are so powerful that it can be extremely difficult for a person who is addicted to stop using. For an active user, the brain craves more and takes priority over everything else, even significant dates, events, and relationships with loved ones.
Rehab treats addiction and prepares a person for a new life in recovery, but it can be challenging. A person in recovery must change his or her lifestyle to live substance-free. Recovery is “one day at a time” because each day is a huge success when a person who is battling addiction stays sober.
There are ways to prevent relapse by understanding and avoiding triggers:
- Identify triggers. Stay away from people who used drugs or alcohol with you and avoid areas or places where you used drugs or alcohol.
- Build your resources and support. Be sure to have support from sober loved ones and let them know if you feel the urge to use drugs or alcohol again. They can encourage you to stay on track with your recovery and be positive influencers for your success.
- Stay busy. Find a hobby or activity that interests you or get involved with a support group. Exercise to improve physical and mental health.
- Learn ways to cope. When something tragic happens, you might think about grabbing a drink. Use strategies developed in treatment to avoid using substances to cope.
- Maintain mental health and stability. If you suffer from a mental health condition, get help from a medical professional. Do not use drugs or alcohol to cope while on medication.
If you or a loved one is battling addiction, get help now. Cypress Lakes Lodge treats addiction with a holistic approach to therapy. Make today the first day in your journey to sobriety.
Cypress Lakes Lodge specializes in addiction treatment and is located in a serene, remote, lush-green, oxygen enriched environment. The program encompasses holistic addiction therapy and offers yoga and meditation for the mind, body, and soul. The focus is on physical, mental, and emotional well-being by generating the balance of life-enriching treatment, wellness, and healthy, sober, sustainable relationships. Call us to get started: 409-331-2204