After treatment, you need to make adjustments and lifestyle changes for recovery. There will be many challenges that put you at high risk for relapse. Plan a strategy in advance to avoid difficult situations that may tempt you to use. There are ways to make the transition to sobriety easier.
Here are some useful strategies to stay sober throughout recovery:
- Join support groups. Keep going to group therapy and support groups during recovery. Many people in these groups are going through the same thing as you. Develop friendships with clean and sober friends who you can call when you feel like you might relapse.
- Avoid triggers. To remain clean and sober you need to identify your triggers and avoid them. This includes any old friends who are associated with your drug or alcohol use. There might be certain places that remind you of your times using. When you cannot avoid triggers, call on a clean, sober friend who can talk to you to keep your mind from thinking about using.
- Exercise. A great way to stay clean and sober is to put exercise into your daily routine. Exercising will take care of you physically and mentally and is a great healthy activity to participate in.
- Keep a journal. By writing down your feelings, you can reflect on your success and see how your lifestyle has changed. Writing keeps the mind active and you will have less time to think about using drugs or alcohol.
- Stay active with interests and hobbies. Find new activities that interest you such as walking, joining a gym, participating in a book club, playing sports, or you might be creative and join an art class.
Changing Your Life for the Better
Make sure the time that was once used abusing drugs or alcohol is filled with fun, healthy hobbies. Talk to new friends in support groups when you are feeling tempted to use. Rebuild damaged relationships with family and friends. The lifestyle changes will take a lot of time, but you will be able to stay clean and sober and have fun!
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, get help today. Cypress Lakes Lodge specializes in dual diagnosis and holistic treatment therapy for addiction and addictive behaviors and integrates natural healing for the mind, body, and spirit. Contact Cypress Lakes Lodge at 409-331-2204 today or visit us online for more information!